If a license plate is marked "MP" or "MOPED", drivers need to park at designated moped areas on campus with a FREE sticker permit. The sticker is required to park at these free spaces.
Beginning on Tuesday, July 5, 2016, moped sticker permits will be distributed at the Parking & Transportation Services office, 300 Transportation & Safety Building, 511 Washington Avenue SE, East Bank campus. Hours are Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Drivers will need to bring three things to pick up the free sticker:
- your drivers license
- your moped's license plate number
- your moped's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
When the sticker permit is picked up, drivers will receive a printed copy of Moped Policies and Ordinances.
Mopeds and motor scooters are prohibited from all campus sidewalks and can be assessed a parking ticket for parking at bike racks on campus.
University and State Regulations
- Riders must wear eye protection at all times.
- Operators must have a valid driver’s license, a valid motorized bicycle operator’s permit, or a valid motorized bicycle instruction permit.
- Moped riders may not carry passengers.
- Mopeds are prohibited from sidewalks, except when necessary for direct access to a roadway from a driveway, alley or building. In those instances, they must be walked, not driven.
- Mopeds cannot operate in designated bicycle lanes. Mopeds are not allowed on the Washington Avenue Bridge pedestrian level, unless walked across.
- Mopeds must be legally registered and have liability insurance in order to operate on a public street or highway.
- Mopeds can not ride in any area that is restricted to emergency vehicles and buses only.
For more information, view the Minnesota Motorcycle, Motorized Bicycle (Moped) & Electric-Assisted Bicycle Manual.
Motorcycle License Plate
Mopeds/motor scooters with plates designated “motorcycle” must adhere to all of the rules for motorcycles.Vehicles must park in a regular parking spot.