News & Alerts
News & Alerts
Specific Church Street Garage Spaces Signed for Short-Term Parking
Effective Friday, December 16, 2016, Parking & Transportation Services will post 2-hour parking spaces on the entry level of Church Street Garage.
These spaces will be intended for guest/visitor use, ideal for short periods of time on campus.
This initiative will support the University's sustainability efforts by decreasing vehicle emissions through lowering the amount of time that visitors spend driving around this particular garage.
Campus Shuttle Service Changes Slightly For Winter Break
Last updated: 12/08/16
The University community should be aware of winter break changes from Monday, December 26 through Monday, January 16.
During winter break, Campus Connector buses will run from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. every 15 minutes. The last bus departs from the St. Paul Student Center at 6 p.m. and the last bus leaves Blegen Hall at 6:05. Campus connectors will not run during the evening hours. There is no weekend or holiday Campus Connector service during the break.
The University Avenue Circulator will run from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. every 15 minutes.
The Stadium Superblock Circulator will run from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. every 15 minutes.
The St. Paul and 4th Street Circulators WILL NOT RUN during the winter break.
SPECIAL NOTE: Typically, campus shuttle buses do not run on official university holidays. Shuttle buses WILL run on a special schedule for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Campus Connectors will run on Sunday, January 15 from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. every 20 minutes AND Monday, January 16 from 9 a.m. until 12:15 a.m. every 20 minutes.
For more busing details, visit the Busing section.
Fall Finals Week Affects Campus Shuttle Service
During Finals Week (Friday, December 16 - Thursday, December 22), University campus shuttles run a bit differently than usual.
Finals Weekdays through Thursday, December 22
- Campus Connectors run every 10 minutes from 7-7:30 a.m. Connectors run every 5 minutes from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. These buses run every 15 minutes from 6:30 - 10 p.m. From Monday, December 19 through Wednesday, December 21, buses run every 20 minutes from 10 p.m. until 12:15 a.m. On Friday, December 16 and Thursday, December 22, buses run every 20 minutes from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m.
- The University Avenue Circulator runs every 15 minutes from 7 a.m. until 12:15 a.m. On Friday, December 16 and Thursday, December 22, these buses run until 2 a.m.
- The St. Paul Circulator runs the same as usual - every 15 minutes from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Last bus leaves the St. Paul Student Center at 5 p.m.
- The Fourth Street Circulator runs every 15 minutes from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Last bus leaves the 19th Avenue Ramp at 6 p.m.
- The Stadium Superblock Circulator runs the same as usual - every 15 minutes from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Last bus leaves the Faye Thompson stop at 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 17
- On Saturday, December 17, Campus Connectors will run every 15 minutes, instead of every 20 minutes, from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. From 6:30 p.m. until 2 a.m., the Connector will run every 20 minutes between the Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses. Last bus leaves the St. Paul Student Center at 2 a.m. and the last bus leaves Blegen Hall at 2 a.m.
- The University Avenue Circulator will run every 15 minutes from 7 a.m. until 2 a.m. Last bus leaves Carlson School at 2 a.m.
- The St. Paul Circulators; Fourth Street Circulators and Stadium Superblock Circulators do NOT run on Saturday of finals week.
Sunday, December 18
- On Sunday, December 18, Campus Connectors will run every 20 minutes from 9:30 a.m. until 12:15 a.m. Last bus leaves the St. Paul Student Center at 12:15 a.m. and the last bus leaves Blegen Hall at 12:15 a.m.
- The St. Paul Circulators; Fourth Street Circulators and Stadium Superblock Circulators do NOT run on Sunday of finals week.
Good luck on finals from Parking and Transportation Services.
Metro Transit Service Changes for Year-End Holiday
Metro Transit buses and METRO Blue and Green lines will follow holiday schedules on Christmas Day (Sunday, December 25) and on New Year’s Day (Sunday, January 1). For details on Red Line service, service center hours and more, go to Metro Transit’s website.
To accommodate the natural decrease in demand, Metro Transit and suburban transit providers will reduce service on Monday, December 26. or will not have service. Metro Transit will operate regular service on Monday, January 2 while some suburban systems and Maple Grove Transit, will either have no service or reduced service.
Routes will follow SATURDAY schedules unless noted. Some routes will follow Saturday schedules with additional trips. If your route does not have a schedule for Saturday service and is not listed, it will not operate on Monday, December 26.
Car2Go Suspends Twin Cities Service
The car-sharing service, Car2Go, announced that it will suspend service in the Twin Cities at the end of the year. See Star Tribune news story.
The University of Minnesota encourages car-sharing with HOURCAR, a local car-sharing operator in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Its fleet comprises a range of fuel-efficient hatchbacks, sedans, utility vehicles and pick-up trucks.
Learn more about HOURCAR.
PTS Wants Your Input! (Biking Survey)
PTS would like to ask campus bicyclists a few questions to help improve campus secure bike parking options.
Please take a minute to complete our confidential electronic customer survey.
If you have a second minute, we have a four-question survey about vertical bike racks. We'd love to get your feedback on this style of free bike parking.
Here's a video on how to use vertical bike racks.
Thank you for your time and input!
4th Street Ramp Service Road Temporarily Converted to One-Way Road
The service road on the west side of the 4th Street Ramp has been temporarily converted to a one-lane driveway until February 6, 2017, due to the 4th Street Ramp generator project.
The parking spaces and snow dump area WILL NOT be available during this time.
The service drive has been temporarily posted as one-way heading southbound ("Do Not Enter" signs are facing 4th Street).
Washington Avenue Pedestrian Bridge Project
PTS in the News!
On a roll - Transforming Minneapolis into a bike-friendly city has been a bumpy but satisfying ride
Winnipeg Free Press / Sept. 3, 2016
Close to the midpoint of the Stone Arch Bridge, Robin Garwood crooks his arm to signal a stop and pulls his bike to a halt near the railing. READ MORE
What happens when a bicycle is left behind?
MinnPost / June 16, 2016
In college 20 years ago, I abandoned a bicycle. I was young, and on occasional pensive moments I look back with regret.READ MORE
You're Seeing Double and Sometimes Triple When It Comes to Goldy the Gopher, the University of Minnesota Mascot!
PR Newswire / June 7, 2016
University of Minnesota students, visitors, and staff are seeing more of their beloved mascot popping up throughout the campus during sporting and special events. READ MORE
How bad weather might impact tonight's Beyoncé concert
Star Tribune / May 23, 2016
She’s the Queen Bey, but she’s not the god of thunder. READ MORE
Beyonce will bring extra traffic to U of M campus Monday afternoon
Star Tribune / May 23, 2016
Multi-platinum, Grammy Award-winning recording artist Beyonce will draw a crowd of more than 40,000 to the University of Minnesota Monday afternoon, and that will put extra pressure on the traffic grid just as the afternoon commute gets underway. READ MORE
How Cities Clear Snow From Protected Bike Lanes: A Starter Guide
StreetsBlog USA / February 11, 2016
As protected bike lanes have spread from city to city across North America, a problem has followed: snow. READ MORE
Winter Cycling Congress comes to Twin Cities
MN Daily / February 02, 2016
A group of cold-weather cyclists will pedal into the Twin Cities just in time to sample Minnesota snow at their gathering this week. READ MORE
Ridership continues unabated
MN Daily / February 02, 2016
Despite a decrease in bus ridership, more people than ever are using Metro Transit as a means to commute between work, school and home, according to a Metro Transit press release. READ MORE