Traffic Updates! Accessing the U
On Gopher football game days, drivers should anticipate congestion while travelling to/from and around campus.
Plan ahead with our recommended travel routes.
If you have already purchased parking in a specific location, find a personalized map route planning map based on your specific parking destination.
Plan ahead and arrive early to avoid potential delays on surface streets or locating parking.
- I-35W Closure between Hwy 62 and I-94: Both directions of I-35W between Hwy 62 and I-94 will be closed for the weekend. The official detour route suggests using I-394, Hwy 100, and/or Hwy 62 to bypass the construction closure (see detour map). Click the first bullet link for further project information.
- 4th St SE, on the east side of the stadium between 25th and 29th Avenue SE, is under construction and is closed to through traffic. Access Discovery Lot (for parking-pass holders only) from 25th Avenue SE only.
Please use caution when driving in construction zones.
Download the MnDOT 511 App at 511mn.org for complete freeway/highway closure and detour information.
Bag Policy Reminder!
- Only clear bags will be allowed in the stadium.
- Stadium personnel will provide clear bags in which to transfer any needed items, and a bag check will also be provided in the Williams Arena lobby located on the South side of the building off University Avenue.
- Bag check will open at 9:30 am and close one hour following the game’s conclusion.
- See more specifics.
Current (or Conflicting) Campus Events
PTS Event Calendar - none
Final Thought -- After the Game
Because of limited road capacity around the stadium, fans should anticipate that streets around campus will be congested for about one hour after the game. Incidents on the roadways or freeways can increase exiting time.
Last piece of advice: Come early/Stay late – Relax with dining and entertainment before and after games. Take time to explore what the U of M has to offer and beat the traffic.