Mopeds with a license plate marked "MP" or "MOPED" need to park at designated moped areas on campus.
Mopeds and motor scooters are prohibited from all campus sidewalks and can be assessed a parking ticket for parking at bike racks on campus.
University and State Regulations
- Riders must wear eye protection at all times.
- Operators must have a valid driver’s license, a valid motorized bicycle operator’s permit, or a valid motorized bicycle instruction permit.
- Moped riders may not carry passengers.
- Mopeds are prohibited from sidewalks, except when necessary for direct access to a roadway from a driveway, alley or building. In those instances, they must be walked, not driven.
- Mopeds cannot operate in designated bicycle lanes. Mopeds are not allowed on the Washington Avenue Bridge pedestrian level, unless walked across.
- Mopeds must be legally registered and have liability insurance in order to operate on a public street or highway.
- Mopeds can not ride in any area that is restricted to emergency vehicles and buses only.
For more information, view the Minnesota Motorcycle, Motorized Bicycle (Moped) & Electric-Assisted Bicycle Manual.
Another resource is Moped Policies and Ordinances.
Motorcycle License Plate
Mopeds/motor scooters with plates designated “motorcycle” must adhere to all of the rules for motorcycles.Vehicles must park in a regular parking spot.