Moped/Motor Scooter/Motorcycle Users
- Wear eye protection at all times.
- Wear a helmet. Those under 18 years are required by Minnesota law.
- Do not carry passengers or oversized loads.
- Riders are prohibited from sidewalks, except when necessary for direct access to a roadway from a driveway, alley or building. In those instances, they must be walked, not driven.
- Mopeds/scooters cannot operate in designated bicycle lanes. Mopeds are not allowed on the Washington Avenue Bridge pedestrian level, unless walked across.
- Obey all traffic and speed laws.
- Don’t ride in any area that is restricted to emergency vehicles and buses only.
- Avoid oil spills and wet roadways.
- Drive with your headlights on.
- Wait for pedestrians to clear cross-walks.
- Be alert for opening car doors.
- Take an approved safety course. See the non-profit Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF).
- Do not drink and drive.
In Minnesota, all mopeds/motor scooters must have a license plate.